SP05 is out now!
With the ever-evolving maturity of SAP Solution Manager 7.2, the latest support package stack, SP05, brings new and enhanced features across a broad spectrum of the Solution Manager functional scope. SP05 was released on 9th May 2017, and is available right now to implement for your SAP Solution Manager system.
This article takes a look at the key enhancements that have been made available with the new support package.
- Support for Process Templates. If you’re about to embark upon a multi-region roll-out (covering different regions/plants/markets), but have processes based on a global template, then the new ‘Deployment’ functionality will be of interest. Missing from the initial Support Packs of 7.2, ‘Deployments’ are the successor for the SAP Solution Manager 7.1 template / global rollout functionality. A deployment enables a master Process library to be defined which is then rolled-out, mapped against the appropriate system landscape.
- New Diagram Types. The new graphical editor of SAP Solution Manager 7.2 is by far (in our opinion) the most impressive new feature available in 7.2. In SP05 this has been enhanced further with general usability improvements and also a new diagram type: ‘Universal Diagram’. This new type allows different sorts of diagrams to be created, such as Value Chain Diagrams, Capability Maps, Application Landscapes and pretty much anything else you can think of. Contrary to BPMN diagrams, Universal Diagrams don’t follow sematic rules, basically they provide a canvass to draw any diagram you require.
- Process Variants. When processes share the same fundamental building blocks, but have slightly different configuration and execution you need to be able to represent the different variations with the minimum of rework. For simple variations we have been able to use a decision point, to show that particular activities are only executed certain circumstances. When there are multiple paths through a process they can quickly become complicated, and this is where Process Variants play a part. In SP05 we can simply create a named Process Variant for the main process, with its own diagram (derived from the parent process). This makes it much easier to keep process variant documentation together, but segregated from the core process.
- Better transparency of Tester workload through the new ‘Review Worklist’ report. A common complaint of the Test Management functionality in the past was that it wasn’t easy to gain visibility of another Testers worklist. In SP05 we now have a new ‘Review Worklist’ application that allows the Test Coordinator to access a specified Testers worklist, and, if necessary, change the test execution data.
- Support for Testing Teams. Improving the flexibility of Test assignment, through the use of multiple testers in the form of Testing Teams. We can now assign a group of business partners to a package, allowing everyone within that group to have visibility of the tests.
- The most significant enhancement to Change Management in SP05 is the introduction of the ‘Standard Change’ change type, extending the portfolio of existing change types to provide increased flexibility around delivering changes that don’t typically require approval. As these changes don’t require approval, the speed of implementation is accelerated. Control is imposed by defining a whitelist of objects that can be changed via the standard change type, restricting the scope of standard changes to a known and pre-approved object list.
- Downgrade protection is now available for non-ABAP changes. The scope is limited to imminent downgrades and predecessor checks, but this is a welcome extension of the protection offered by DGP into the scope of non-ABAP changes.
A Whole Host of Innovation
These are just some of the key enhancements that we know customers have been craving since adopting SAP Solution Manager 7.2. Expand the sections below for a round-up of other interesting features per ALM topic:
- The ability to decouple IT Requirements, Requests for Change and Change Documents from project tasks is now available
- Mapping of the new ‘Standard Change’ type (see Change Request Management) to project tasks has been introduced
- Project – Analytics dashboard has been renamed to ‘Project Analytics – 360 Degree’
- A new dashboard has been introduced (called ‘Project Analytics – Standard’) to cater for customers who do not use the Requirements / Change Management integration with Project Management
- The 7.1 template / rollout functionality has now been fully replaced in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 with new functionality called ‘Deployments’. You can now define a deployment master which can then be rolled out across regional deployments
- Additional layouts and better document handling in the Manual Test Execution scenario
- Versatility in the inclusion of process variants in test plans
- Test data set assignment to manual test cases, presenting the tester with suitable test data at the point of execution
- More personalisation options for Test Suite applications
- Additional support for identifying damaged manual test cases
- Automated test cases are now included in the Solution Documentation export / import process
- Automated test configurations and scripts can now be transported between Solution Manager systems
- Closer integration of automated test scenarios for cloud services
- Improved integration between Solution Documentation and Test Automation in the context of creating new test configurations
- New Business Process Monitoring application, featuring an Alert Ticker
- Replacement of legacy workcenter with individual applications accessible from the Solution Manager Launchpad
- Export & Import of Business Process Monitoring Alerting Object definitions and assignments in Solution Documentation is now possible
- Closer integration with SAP Operation Control Center reporting
- Enhanced Progress Management Board application, to aid tracking of Business Process Improvement initiatives
- Additional comparison groups in Data Consistency Management
- Improvements in Job Management
- New Interface and Connection Monitoring application:
- Enhanced UI and improving navigation within the application
- Alert severity for Interface and Connection Monitoring alerts can now be defined
- STAD record based metrics for Web Services
- Last directory update for flat file monitoring
- Improved analytics in the following scenarios:
- Job Monitoring
- HANA and BI Monitoring
- Process Integration Monitoring
- More personalisation options in the Work Mode Management and IT Calendar applications
- Guided Procedure Authoring:
- You can now reuse steps (and substeps) across guided procedures, saving time and ensuring consistency
- Several improvements in the GP browser & UI5 Document Editor
- Improved navigation from the Solution Manager Launchpad
- Transport checks can now be performed automatically at the point of saving objects to transports in the development system
- Introduction of the ‘Standard Change’ change type (see above)
- Whitelisting of objects for the new Standard Change type controls the objects that can be changed under the standard change type (thus restricting it’s usage)
- Downgrade protection is now available for non-ABAP systems, supporting imminent downgrade and predecessor checks
- Increased authorisation control for executable PPF actions
- Improved categorisation for critical retrofit objects
- When completing a phase cycle that still has unfinished change transactions assigned, a new phase cycle is automatically created and the unfinished changes are attached to the new phase cycle
- Improved searching capabilities in the Change Management Administration Cockpit
- Automated status change of change documents when associated transports are imported into a target system
- Improved reporting – graphical visualisation of Change Request Management transaction types in the ‘Process Visualiser’ report
- New Fiori app for Q-Gate and Urgent Change approval in Quality Gate Management
- Multiple IT Requirements can now be created from a single Business Requirement, enabling higher granularity of changes required to satisfy any one requirement from the Business, and broader definition of Business Requirements
- Standard change type is now available for IT Requirements
- IT Requirements can now be created in a ‘standalone’ fashion, i.e. without requiring a corresponding Business Requirement. These can be used to document purely IT Requirements emanating from within the IT organisation
- New Fiori App to resolve and dispatch Incidents within the ITSM Solution, which could be useful for those working in the field to provide timely updates to incidents e.g. via mobile devices
- Automated status updates of Incidents / Problems, driven by the status of a corresponding Request for Change. The incident status can be set to ‘Proposed Solution’ automatically when the RfC reaches a final closed status
- Integration of the SAP Expert Chat function, improving the integration between local customer support and experts at SAP
- New Fiori App for Data Aging
- New Fiori App for Unused Data
- Improvements in the BW savings potential calculations, and two new corresponding Fiori Apps (NLS & Unsused Info Providers and Temporary & Adminstration data savings potentials)
Leave A Comment