Process Mining is an analytical discipline for discovering, monitoring, and improving processes as they actually are (not as you think they might be), by extracting knowledge from event logs readily available in today’s information systems. Process Mining offers objective, fact-based insights, derived from actual data, that help you audit, analyse, and improve your existing business processes by answering both compliance-related and performance-related questions.
In most cases, companies have outlined the way that these processes should run in an ideal world. But the way they actually run in the real world… can be a very different story. The problem is many organisations aren’t able to see and understand what’s happening in these processes on a day-to-day basis, so they can’t identify the difference between the process “as is” and “as expected.”
Process mining creates an “X-ray” of a business process that helps you gain visibility and identify inefficiencies in core operations. Gartner, the leading technology research and strategy firm concluded recently that companies must invest in process mining if they want to Improve visibility and understanding of the actual performance of business operations and processes. This view is shared by an increasing number of companies as they seek to reduce costs, increase productivity, revenue and margins.Let’s take a look at some of the advantages process mining technology can bring:
“Process Mining is growing 80% YoY”
Everest Group Research 2021
“ Over 60% of companies are currently evaluating or planning to use Process Mining within the next 12-24 months ”
Benefits of Process Mining Technology
- Get complete visibility over your processes – Get 100% objective, real-time view of your processes based on the data in your IT systems, to find and fix inefficiencies without argument.
- Quantify the impact of your process gaps – So you can demonstrate value before and after implementing a fix.
- Get stakeholder alignment – Make data-driven suggestions complete with expected ROI with full, objective visibility into your process gaps and how to fix them — driving stakeholder buy-in and alignment.
- Prioritise initiatives effectively – Prioritise and direct energy and resources as needed once the impact of process gaps on business outcomes has been evaluated.
- Get to value quickly and easily – Deliver value quickly and cheaply, process mining is easy to implement and has a short time-to-value.
Software vendor evaluation: Why Celonis?
Questions about the vendor
Here are the most relevant questions to ask a vendor when considering process mining:
- Capabilities of the proposed technology to support a proven methodology for generating business value
- Track record of the vendor in achieving success for its customers. This includes the ability to handle technological complexity and offer a proven delivery approach
- Innovation roadmap of the vendor. What direction is the technology moving in and will it be available in the cloud
- Ecosystem is a good indicator of the success of a vendor. A mature ecosystem enables you to work with partners who closely align with your requirement
Questions about the software
Benefits sought (ordered by importance) by buyers for engaging a vendor for process discovery & mining are:
- Improve overall visibility and transparency of process flows
- Reduce average process cycle times
- Reduce effort to identify process steps and variations
- Improve identification of root causes in process variations, outcomes, non-compliance
- Improve identification of KPI impact in process variations, outcomes, non-compliance
- Improve identification of processes to be automated
- Improve upskilling or retraining efforts with precision training for individuals or teams
- Improve business agility
Capability questions answered – Celonis
The Celonis EMS platform is structured around 5 core pillars which provides significant capability benefits in terms of deployment, functionality, usability and value realisation, including:
- Process set up and data preparation
- Pre-built solutions
- Process discovery & intelligence
- Process conformance
- Action led enhancements
- Process Automation
- Integration with complimentary capabilities: eg RPA
- Security & compliance